January 14, 2009

More banjo


Hanukkah has come and gone. There are so many great thing about this family celebration -- the food, the songs (including the not-quite traditional "Mule Train" (see below for 2007's version), and the great Hanukkah CD swap that my sister Wendy organizes. To me, the key to a good CD swap is coming up with a theme each year. One year it was the Voice Crush, performer's voices who just kill me. This year though I went with a banjo theme -- songs that have a banjo in it.
Here is my list:
"Ain't No Grave," Crooked Still
"My First Lover," Gillian Welch
"Cluck Old Hen," Kris Delmhorst
"Old King," Neil Young
"Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us," Robert Plant & Alison Krauss
Are You Walking & A' Talking With the Lord," The Sacred Shakers
Casimir Pulaski," Sufjan Stevens
"Swimming Pools," Thao
"1234," Feist"
"A Year From Now," Blanche
"Jezebel," Iron & Wine
"Squeeze Box," The Who
"Born to Hum," Erin McKeown
"Cumberland Blues," the Grateful Dead
"O Mary Don't You Weep," Bruce Springsteen

No comments: