September 15, 2009

More Eilen Jewell, and other bits


I know I've blogged more about Eilen Jewell than about most bands... they may have to put me on the payroll soon! I can't help it. I think the band is great, and their new songs rock. Got a chance to see them a couple of weeks ago (that's how behind I am!) at Precinct in Somerville. I had not been there before. It's a small space under a restaurant that used to be a police station. As usual Eilen and the boys put on a fun show, running through a lot of the "Sea of Tears" album, a few from past albums and a great cover of the Yardbirds' "Putty (in Your Hands)" -- see the video below.
For more photos, click HERE


Another video is HERE

Another fun Eilen note: I recently downloaded the new iTunes 9. Afterward, when I was watching a quick tutorial on the new features, I noticed that "Sea of Tears" was one of the albums featured on the tutorial's playlist. Not bad pub for a small-label release!

A little shoutout to my friend Scott Duhaime and his band Tan Odyssey. The other night I ventured to Harvest Cafe in Hudson to hear the band in a stripped-down semi-acoustic performance. Now these guys all have regular jobs and don't get to practice, let alone play out, much. So this was a big deal and a fun night hearing their mix of originals and covers. A standout tune was their reworking of the Allman's "Whipping Post," done as a slow blues on acoustics. Pretty cool arrangement.

Finally, a couple of shows I'm definitely looking forward to: Regina Spektor next week at the House of Blues; the Avett Brothers also at HOB -- I've heard their new album, "I and Love and You," and it is a knockout. Look for a review of the album in my next mag issue (Late September); Grace Potter, also at HOB. Haven't seen her yet so I've gotta catch her...

No comments: