September 2, 2008

Goodbye to Sarah Borges guitarist


We're in between shows right now (waiting for Ryan Adams on Sunday), so I thought it would be a good time to post a goodbye and fond farewell to one of my favorite guitar players, Mike Castellana, who is leaving Sarah Borges and the Broken Singles to begin life as a father of his first child. While I'm happy for Mike and his circumstances, I am very sad to see him leave Sarah's band. (She has hired a replacement, Lyle Brewer). For those who have seen and heard Mike play, they know what I'm talking about. While he could rock with the best of them, playing the nastiest, dirtiest, smokingest (is that a word? It is now!) riffs around, what I really loved was his pedal-steel playing, which could make you cry. Maybe soon, he'll be playing pedal-steel lullabies to his new son, due Nov. 2. Hopefully, we'll still be able to catch Mike's playing with his local group the Blue Ribbons in the near future. They have a gig Oct. 11 at Matt Murphy's if anyone wants to check them out. I will hopefully be front and center.
In case you've never heard Mike play, here's a clip I took at a recent show. Enjoy.

No comments: