January 11, 2008

The lull is over

The holidays are over, which means the clubs get busy again and it's time to get back into the music scene. There are many shows I'd like to see, but two I HAVE to see. The first is Sarah Borges at the Lizard Lounge a week from tonight. It's been a while since I've seen her live and that's way too long. Sarah's latest album, "Diamonds in the Dark," which I reviewed last September (click HERE to read the review), made many "best of 2007" lists, which she so deserves. But it's on stage where she really shines, and the Lizard -- one of our favorite venues -- is a great place to see her.
The other must-see show is Michelle Shocked (with special guest guitarist Erin McKeown, oh yeah!) at Passim on Feb. 5. For those not familiar with Michelle, well, she is one of a kind. She definitely marches to her own beat. What I have always loved about her is that she follows her muse, changing styles and genres as it suits her. And I follow right along... Lately, she's been into a gospel thing. It's not my favorite style of hers, but I'm willing to listen. One thing you can be sure of with Michelle is she throws her heart, soul, and wonderful voice into whatever genre she takes on. And with Erin along for the ride, I can't wait to see and hear what happens!
A little taste of Sarah live!:

No comments: