October 6, 2007

The Day After the 2 Nights Previous


I just woke up after back-to-back nights of Josh Ritter and Co. at the Somerville Theatre. The tunes are still deep in my subconscious, my head still bouncing to the beat. A tremendous pair of shows with so many highlights, among them the incredibly rocking new songs "Rumors," "Mind's Eye," "To the Dogs." The older songs, gussied up with a bigger sound and slightly new arrangements, certainly held their own. "Girl in the War" was more determined than ever. The horn section, man, if they could only take them on the road for the complete tour... They really helped hammer "Real Long Distance." Which night was better? Who knows, who cares. The crowd seemed rowdier the first night; the band cranked on Night 2.
Some asides:
* Josh, please tell us that story again about playing wiffle ball among the sheep. Still trying to figure that one out.
* Opening act Old School Freight Train got each night off to a rollicking start. Who ever thought Blondie's "Heart of Glass" could be done as a roots-rockin' ballad?
* Finally, I just want to say thanks to the Ritter band. I got to know the two newest members, Austin and Liam, over the two days. I really appreciate how nice all the guys are, but the band couldn't do any better than adding these two. Their exuberance and willingness to answer all of my silly questions is/was amazing. Zack is a rock, and the Loch Ness Tuba is a monster! Sam, thanks for everything. We all had a great time. If you ever need a tour bus driver, count me in!
For more pics, click HERE

No comments: